Thursday 12 December 2013

An update on our hermit crabs investigation!

We got together as a group to discuss all the things we've learned so far from observing our hermit crabs and researching our wonder questions using various non-fiction books we found at the library.

What we've learned so far about hermit crabs...

"They use their pincers to feel the food and put it to their mouths with their tentacles and eat it." A.M.

"If they don't have food, they will not feel so good and they might die.  They need to be healthy to stay alive." G.M.

"They eat vegetables like carrots, celery, lettuce, and fruit."  C.D.

"If they get too big, they have to find a new home and a bigger shell." R.W.

"They use their claws to take off the shell and change to another shell" E.H.

"They have plants in their tank so they think it is the bottom of the ocean." C.M.

"Like coral" R.W.

"shells" C.M.

"sand" M.P.

"kelp" A.M.

"seaweed" E.H.

"They change shells because they get too big for the little shell and they have to find a new shell or they won't be able to get out because they will be too big." R.W.

"They walk on 4 spindly legs." W.E.

They have an exoskeleton on the outside of their skin. G.M.

We have to make sure their habitat is between 80 and 85 degrees! E.S.

They molt, they go under the sand.  Then they grow, and then they get a new exoskeleton. G.B.

They have gills for breathing. B.S.

After they grow, they look for a new shell. N.S.

We have to make sure their habitat is moist by spraying water. O.S.

They bath in the salt water like the ocean. D.S.

They like to climb seaweed. R.W.

They eat with their pincers. W.E.

I saw one swimming in the salt water. C.D.

They snap their claws to talk. E.H.

When they go under the sand, their exoskeleton breaks. E.E.

They are nocturnal. A.M.

They eat lettuce. P.I.

I saw them drinking water. D.C.

Molting is when they shed their exoskeleton. D.S.

The bones of the hermit crab are on the outside. G.M.

They have a shell to protect them from animals that want to eat them. G.M.

They are getting their new shape then going to get a new shell. A.T.

They need a new shell because they grew out their old one. K.W.


We used plasticine and sketch drawings to support and demonstrate our learning!








"First I made the shell, then I made the hermit crab. These are the pincers and these are the legs, and the eyes, and then the tail for protecting its shell." K.E.

Daily observations of our hermit crabs

I saw the hermit crab and he was burying himself and the shell was still on. E.E.

I saw them dig a hole under the sand. H.S.

I saw that the hermit crabs were snapping their pincers. A.P.

When I was looking at the hermit crabs, I saw that Shelley and Crusty were having a race. G.B.

I saw that one of the hermit crabs was eating using his pincers. W.E.

I see that Crabby is gone in the sand. E.S.

I see Crabby is eating fruit. G.B.

I heard a hermit crab snap its claws. E.H.

He is using his pincers. E.E.

I see that the hermit crab bent the grass. W.E.

The hermit crab was eating. K.E.

Only Crabby is in the shell. D.S.

I see Shelley and Crabby still wet. E.E.

Shelley is digging. O.S.

I see that Shelley and Crusty are in the food. E.H.

There are two shells turned over. A.P.

I see that Shelley is hiding. G.B.

"I saw that the hermit crab was climbing the grass. E.H.

I saw that hermit crab sleeping. G.M.

I see two shells flipped over. G.B.

I see only one hermit crab. E.S.

Its at 80 degrees. C.M.

The hermit crabs pushed out the kale. W.E.

There is not much food left. M.P.

The thermometer is at 80. R.W.

I think Shelley will change shells first because she is the biggest. A.M.









What we still wonder about hermit crabs

How do hermit crabs change shells? P.I.

Why do they live on land? D.S.

How do they breathe? O.S.

I wonder why they arent eating? E.S.

When are they going to change shells? G.B.

How does a hermit crab walk? H.S.

Why are they not moving in the day? M.P.

Why do they need plants? N.S.

I wonder how they take their shell off? G.B.

How do they walk on short legs? C.M.

How do they get out of the shell? M.P.

There's still so much to learn about our hermit crab friends! 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent ideas to start the kids thinking about everyday things. Obviously engaging for them. I can see the excitement on their faces. Good work at making learning fun.

    Cari-lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for continuing to post to the blog. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth getting H to talk about her day at school... and these definitely help to facilitate discussion.

    ReplyDelete